frequently asked questions
- Q.: Can you provide me with references?
- Yes, we have many references that we can provide to you.
- Q.: Are you certified in working with lead based paint?
- Yes, we have completed our certification from the state and will continue to update our certification as necessary.
- Q.: Is there anything that we have to do to get ready for painting?
- Yes, but not too much. On the exterior, please do any pruning of plants that are against the house, if possible. We will take care of everything else. We will move the lawn furniture, potted plants, etc. We will also cover everything that can't be moved. On the interior, take your possessions off of the furniture e.g. magazines, nick knacks, pictures before we arrive, so as to make it easier for us to move the furniture.
- Q.: It seems so hard to pick a color from the chips that paint stores provide. Is there anything that you do to make this process easier?
- Yes there is. We can provide wet samples and put them on an area of the house so as to give you a better feel of what the whole house will look like once it is painted.
- Q.: Do I need to be home when you are working?
- No, not all the time but we do ask that you be available each day so we can provide you with our daily update of progress and answer any questions you have of your painting project.
Q.: What color should I paint my house?
- Color choice is a very personal decision, but there are a few things to keep in mind. When you choose a dark color for the exterior trim color and a much lighter color for the main part of the house, it can make the house look smaller if there is a lot of trim. On the interior a lighter ceiling color will make the room look larger and the walls look higher.
Q.: How long does it take?
- Each painting project is different. We give our clients an approximate start and finish dates in our proposal as required by the State of Lansing. Once we start your project, we stay on it each day until we are finished unless there are circumstances beyond our control like weather that does not permit us to work.
Q.: When you start a job, do you stay until it is complete?
- Yes. We are motivated to complete your project, as this is the way we are paid. Once we start your project, we stay on it each day until we are finished unless there are circumstances beyond our control like weather that does not permit us to work.
Q.: What about bathrooms?
- We do ask for access to a bathroom as a courtesy. We will respect your privacy and your property in using the bathroom.
- Q.: Will you clean up after the job is complete?
- Yes. We do ask for access to a sink that we can use for cleanup or an outside source if that is not possible. Floors and carpets are swept and vacuumed and furniture placed back.
- Q.: I have a project that I need done right away; can you fit me in your schedule in the next week?
- On average, our project schedule is scheduled four to six weeks in advance, up to eight weeks during the summer. While we would like to accommodate everyone's timeframe for completion, our schedule is operated on a first come, first serve basis. We believe that adjusting current projects scheduled to "fit" other projects in is not only a poor business practice, but also compromises our mission to provide both a quality job and a quality experience.
- Q.: I received several estimates; why is yours the highest?
- Occasionally, homeowners inquire what and/or why there is a cost discrepancy when comparing other estimates received. Not only do we welcome the inquiry, but we encourage homeowners to ask questions about all the estimates they receive. The questions may include clarifications, adding more specific detail so to eliminate any question of the services to be provided, or to simply gauge responsiveness and attention to detail from the service provider. In most instances a lower bid explanation ultimately comes down to communication between the homeowner and potential contractor. Often, it's the questions that haven't been asked by the contractor OR asked by the homeowner that will dictate the cost structure of an estimate. If the high expectation level has not been determined by the contractor OR communicated by the homeowner in most instances a lower bid is submitted. Always try to compare apples to apples when reviewing estimates from any service provider! Usually there is a reason behind the price difference, whether it's product, quality, level of preparation, etc
Q.: What type of paint products do you use?
- Primarily we apply top of line Sherwin Williams paint products. Sherwin Williams offers a wide range of products and colors and has excellent paint matching services. However, we will gladly apply preferred (high-quality) manufacturer's products at the homeowner's request.